Interestingly, most people don’t appreciate common things they see every day. For example, retaining walls are found in different schools, businesses, and homes. However, you won’t realize how important retaining walls are unless you install one in your home. What are retaining walls, and what role do they play in your building.
What is a retaining wall?
Retaining walls are a smart landscaping solution if you have a sloppy backyard. The essence is to hold back the earth from falling in your home. However, a retaining wall provides additional function and space to your home. Besides protecting your structure, it helps prevent erosion and landslips. Furthermore, it serves as a decorative element of a home.
Retaining walls are needed in places where require additional support, especially in areas where erosion is prone. These are essential to stop the earth from moving downhill with erosion. Nevertheless, the primary essence of installing a retaining wall is to fight against gravity. The force of a slope can offset a retaining wall design. You can use a retaining wall to:
- Manage water runoff – It helps retard the flow of rainwater, increasing the utility of your lawn and gardening. Retaining Walls Builders Darwin can help keep away polluted street water by installing a good retaining wall system in the room.
- Provides additional seating -Retaining wall provides landscaping seating for your home. However, it depends on the location where a retaining wall is needed.
When do you need a retaining wall?
Many reasons might necessitate you installing retaining walls. Retaining Walls Builders Darwin believes you need a retaining wall when:
- You want to control downhill erosion
- Your building is downhill from soil fault lines
- The land foundation is vulnerable by a descending hill
Simple steps to Building a Retaining Wall
Retaining Walls Builders Darwin uses a simple process to build a retaining wall.
- Planning the design and Layout- The first step is to decide on the design and layout of the wall you want to build. You need to ensure your wall meets every local code structure and the wall height isn’t too high.
- Precaution digging the wall – Take precaution when digging the wall as it can cause accidental disruption, which might result in additional costs.
- Tools and Materials – prepare every material you would need to build the wall. For a full list, you can consult Retaining Walls Builders Darwin
- Mark and Excave the trench
- Mark the base
- Build the retaining wall
Building a retaining wall is essential for your home, especially if your area is prone to erosion.